Dubuque, IA - East Moline, Il - Waterloo, IA - Waukesha, WI
Almon Inc. is a developer of technical information — manuals and training materials for industrial clients (agricultural, construction, mining, automotive, etc.). We are currently looking for hands-on individuals willing to move from their field service/dealership service positions into one that helps develop the information necessary to perform the tasks they are accustomed to performing. We are experienced in transitioning technicians into content developers; this has been our model for success in our industry.
The ideal candidate will be responsible for creating and writing various types of user documentation, including how-to guides, manuals, references, or instructions. This candidate should have strong communication skills which enable them to explain complicated concepts in a simple manner. This individual will also meet with customer representatives frequently in order to understand required content.
- Author technical content for a variety of clients using minimalist writing style.
- Author operation, repair, troubleshooting or test procedures as required.
- Use a variety of content development tools such as FrameMaker, InDesign, or proprietary software.
- Determine good graphical representation to support text and work with illustrators to develop technical illustrations.
- Work with client representatives as required.
- Comply with each client’s specifications and style guides.
- Accept ambiguity of client-supplied information.
- Operate, disassemble, and assemble equipment in our facility as required.
Professional experience with operation, diagnostics, and repair of automotive, construction, forestry, or agriculture equipment.
Three years technical content development in XML, FrameMaker, InDesign, or other desktop publishing platforms.
- Ability to read and interpret engineering documentation and specifications is required.
- Working knowledge of systems such as electrical, hydraulics, engines, or drive trains.
- Ability to interact in a professional manner with clients, ownership, and co-workers.
- Excellent writing and grammar skills.
- Education in a technical field desired, but not required.
You may have been frustrated in the past with the quality of the manuals or training you were supplied; now you can be the person that puts the right information in the hands of the technicians doing the work! Don’t be intimidated by the writing aspect of this position; we will train the right individual to be successful as a technical content developer, a new lucrative and rewarding profession.
If you are an experienced technical writer, mechanic, or technician looking for a new challenge with multiple clients and authoring platforms, make a difference and contact Almon today and see if this is an opportunity that could change your working life. E-mail your resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org